sábado, 20 de diciembre de 2014

A Right or Wrong Decision

Love: experienced by everyone, felt at least once and the strongest power on earth.

Pain and love and pleasure and feelings all wrap up in following chapters of The Giver. Jonas has a feeling that his life is no longer ordinary and will never be again. With the beautiful experience of being able to see a glimpse of color, Jonas tries to share all of the marvelous memories he has experienced, but by attempting to do this, he fails. Following his daily routine Jonas went to the Annex and this time the memory he received was of animal killing. With this memory and many others The Giver explains to Jonas that the wisdom memories contain is necessary to make the CORRECT decisions...

PAIN… the real kind is being transmitted to Jonas when he went back to the hill the snow and the sled. The difference this time was that the fun and excitement was gone and the only thing he felt was an enormous amount of suffering, real suffering. Jonas was startled at the fact that the rest of his community has never experienced pain...  

Sharing is an important part of life and with Jonas being able to share his memories with baby Gabe, he gets frightened. As well as good memories, the bad ones have to be shared and The Giver does it with Jonas. He does it so much, Jonas feels an excruciating pain. Because life needs a balance on everything with all the pain Jonas has experienced lately, The Giver transmits Jonas his favorite memory, LOVE, FAMILY, HOME and CHRISTMAS.



While reading this compelling book, my attention got caught by the following text:

"Or what if," he went on, almost laughing at the absurdity, “they chose their own jobs?”

“Frightening, isn’t it?” The Giver said.

Jonas chuckled. “Very frightening. I can’t even imagine it. We really have to protect people from wrong choices.”

“It’s safer.”

“Yes,” Jonas agreed. “Much safer.”  

This part of the book grabbed my attention because I got amused by the way Jonas and the rest of his community think about choices. By them thinking that allowing people to make their own choices is dangerous I got surprised. This is because I think that making wrong choices is a part of life and every human makes them. Nevertheless wrong choices and decisions give us wisdom and experience in order to learn what not to do in the future. We LEARN from our INCCORECT CHOICES as well as from our CORRECT ones. I think that the fear being caused in this community is that, by a person making an inaccurate decision, then all of the organization and Sameness in the community will be lost.  

This is what is happening in Jonas' community
In a world with no choices, with no love and with no pain, Jonas starts realizing that what once he thought was good and correct is now wrong and needs to be changed. I am excited to find out if Jonas would be able to change his society and make it better. I am hoping to get the answer to that quickly, but I can only keep reading to find out... 

Click on the link below to watch a video about making decisions and their importance:


7 comentarios:

  1. Alegria, I agree with you that by making wrong choices we learn to make better choices, Also I think that the Giver, Jonas and the community are not aware of the good things of doing wrong choices, but I think that this is as they are afraid to loose eveything they have made. However, don`t you think that the Elders can make bad decisions too and the community is not in ruins. Also Some choices should be made for people, especially children. Don`t you think the same?

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Joaquin, I think that the Elders do make wrong decisions becuase they are humans. However, in the book it states that the Giver advises people in order for them to make the correct decision, so tha average of incorrect desicions made decreases. I agree with you when you say that some choices should be made for people specially children, nevertheless I think that in this community people don't have the right of freedom to chose almost anything in their lifes.
      Ale

      Eliminar
  2. Ale, I agree that in Jonas society the incorrect choices is what they have fear of. Its important to make bad choices in life because we learn from them! And also correct ones as you said. Reading this book makes me think what if we live there we will not have options in life. I also want to keep reading so I can found out what is going to happen. How do you think Jonas is going to change his society?

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Maria Luz, I also think frequently while reading this book about what would happen if we had no freedom of choice. I think that it would be a terrible world to live in because decisions are an extreamely important part of life. I think that further in the book Jonas will do everything he can in order to change his community and the way people in it think and act. Do you?
      Ale

      Eliminar
  3. Ale, to start I want to tell you I really like how you decorated your post, it looks really nice and brings attention. Also when you wrote the quote about how Jonas is frightened about people choosing their own jobs makes me believe even though Jonas is starting to believe in individuality he still believes not everything that come with it is good

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Amalia, I am really glad you liked the structure of my blog. I agree with your point about how Jonas is a little uncertain about how good individuality is. However, as the book states Jonas is more certain that individuality is good than bad and has more benefits for the society. I am thrilled to find out if Jonas will do something to change the way his society functions.
      Ale

      Eliminar
  4. Ale I loved your blog. Now we see in the community of Jonas the importance of decisions because if someone chooses for you it is not nice without our opinion there is no choice and differences and most important our hapiness. As I read on the blog you talked about the elders that they do the choices but they think that they are the right ones and you said that they make wrong decisions. But I think the Elders won't reconize that they make something wrong because they can be like that kind of people that see that they make something wrong but won't accept it. They think they are right that the society is perfect, and they are not open to new ideas or change. What do you think.

    ResponderEliminar